This ‘in-person’ or ‘online & live’ workshop has every student actually writing their Personal Statement.
Students leave this workshop having written a first draft of their individual personal statement for university or a covering letter for apprenticeships/employment AND an action plan to enhance it further.
The Personal Statement Writing Workshop:
- Makes an excellent fast start to the application process - tutors typically have a first draft of the personal statement/covering letter by the end of the same day.
- Is tailored to complement existing application processes.
- Lessens the ‘drag’ on the final submission of personal statements (in the students’ desire for perfection).
- Enables tutors and subject staff to spend more time fine-tuning rather than in the creation of a personal statement or covering letter.
- Reduces stress and anxiety for students given they know the personal statement/covering letter is critical for their future.
- Allows students to focus more on their studies in Year 13, avoiding potential distraction and loss of concentration in lessons.
- Helps generate even higher quality personal statements/covering letters which can be submitted earlier and that sometimes facilitate better/more offers.
Having a good personal statement/covering letter can make the difference between getting the university course (or employment) of choice and being rejected. A good personal statement helps a student to stand out from the crowd, and explains why the university (or employer) should choose him/her above all the other applicants. It's therefore essential that we do all we can to help students compete.
What Heads of Sixth Form say:
- A superbly organised event that gives structure and relevance to a pupil’s personal statement. Highly effective in making students think for themselves and at the same time have some fun too!
- We hold the Personal Statement Writing Workshop in the last part of the summer term and I can certainly say it helps reduce my workload . All of my students who applied for higher education received offers and some of the thanks must go to The Life Skills Company”
What students say:
- The thought of writing a personal statement scared me, but this has given me peace of mind and calmed me.
- They helped me to understand what goes into a personal statement and why I needed to make one.
- I was clueless before this session, now I know I can end up with an excellent personal statement.
- I have got a list of actions to make my personal statement stand out.
- Completely helped me and gave me a sense of urgency, otherwise I would have delayed action.
- It gave real life examples and provoking statistics that motivate.
- Made a boring and difficult task significantly easier.
- I had no idea before, I feel so much more confident in creating a personal statement.
- I like how it gave insight on how competitive it is as it highlighted the importance of your personal statements.
- Very informative and helpful to those who have no clue what to study.
- Informative, entertaining and realistic.
- This made me realise what is missing from my personal statement.
- They have made it clear what I need to do now.